The governing body is required to establish procedures for dealing with all complaints relating to the school including the provision of facilities or services by the school. The Governing Body should ensure that any third party providers offering community facilities or services through the school premises, or using school facilities, have their own complaints procedure in place.
Publication and Availability of the Policy and Procedure
The policy and procedure will be publicised in one or more of the following ways:
- the school prospectus;
- any report/communication from the governors to parents;
- the information given to new parents when their children join the school;
- the information given to the children themselves;
- the home-school agreement;
- home school bulletins or newsletters;
- documents supplied to community users including course information or letting agreements;
- a specific complaints leaflet which includes a form on which a complaint can be made;
- posters displayed in areas of the school that will be used by the public, such as reception or the main entrance;
- the school website.
The school will also provide a copy of the policy and procedure to any person upon request.
Regard to Guidance from the Secretary of State
This policy and procedure has been created having regard to the guidance produced by the Secretary of State.
Governing Body Monitoring, Reporting and Review
As well as addressing an individual’s complaints, the process of listening to and resolving complaints will contribute to school improvement.
The monitoring and review of complaints by the school and the GB can also be a useful tool in evaluating a school’s performance.
Scheduled Review and Updated Guidance from the DfE
The Policy and Procedure will be reviewed every 3 years but any governor with any concerns about its operation can request that it is reviewed at any time.
The Policy and Procedure will also be reviewed in the event that new guidance or legislative changes are introduced by the Department for Education.
Governing Body Monitoring
The level and nature of complaints will be reported to the Governing Body as part of the Governing Body’s role in overseeing the operation of the school.
However, the details of an unresolved complaint or a complainant’s information must not be discussed by the Governing Body in case a Complaints Committee meeting needs to be held.
Governing Body Reporting and Review
The outcomes of complaints will be reported to the Governing Body for review so that the Governing Body can:
- examine the effectiveness of the Complaints Policy & Procedure and consider any improvements; and
- identify any issues that need to be addressed and consider any improvements to school policies or procedures.